Wednesday 8 September 2010

Clutter and basics

"Shame our wanton selfish gladness,
Rich in things and poor in soul"
- Harry E. Fosdick, 1930

There's nothing like a house move to remind you - forcefully - of how much clutter you gather over the years. Kind friends helped me move last Tuesday. Most of my belongings went into storage with a farmer friend who generously allotted space in a barn. The rest - still too much - came with me into lodgings.

It was in sharp contrast with what Gandhi left behind when he died: a pair of spectacles, his loincloth and ... was there a third thing? Precious little else, anyway. How easy it is to be rich in things, and to be poor in soul at the same time!

One suspects that Christians and churches are very self-indulgent in the West, fretting about issues which are vanishingly small if you are at the rock face of persecution or deprivation. It is highly likely that I shall come out of this period of transition with a different perspective than the one I had when I started.

Meanwhile I just appreciate the kindness I have been receiving, kindness well above and beyond my basic needs. It is as though God is saying, "You may be in a position to live off reserves for a while, but I shall still keep giving you reminders that I am with you and equipping you for new service".

Last Sunday was a busy and positive one, spent at a church in Malvern where I preached twice and also took a rest home service. John Wesley begged the Lord that he would never live to be useless. He was contending for the faith up to a few days before his death and so, I hope, shall I be.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the Lord leads us into a certain situation. We don’t always understand why we are going through a particular trial until we have come through the other side. Even then, we don’t fully understand why God has allowed a certain event to occur in our lives. We can however take heart that no matter what comes our way; the Lord will give us the strength to come through it (1 Corinthians 10:13). The Lord is ‘the’ absolute sovereign in all things, and his ways are far above the ways of any man. I like to think that the Lord uses these trials to refine us and to draw us closer to him. In the case of the Apostle Paul, God humbled him by allowing a “thorn” in his flesh (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). In some cases the Lord allows us to go through things to either teach us to wait upon him or to show us the plight of others so that we may have a better understanding of their problems, so as to be able to empathise with them (James 1:1-4).

    As one door closes another door opens, and I like to think that past acquaintances and experiences not only leave a lasting impression upon our lives, but also that the way the Lord has and is working in our lives can leave an everlasting indelible mark upon people that we meet. It may be that the Lord has used you to sow seeds into the heart of those people, and now wants you to continue the work elsewhere?

    I would like to relate my story to you in the hope that it gives you encouragement and comfort. As I’ve been through various trials in my own life. I lost my mother in 2000, then my father in 2004. In 2004 I was involved in a fire where I nearly lost my life. I have been through periods of unemployment, been homeless several times, and suffered from physical health problems, but through all of this the Lord has been and still is faithful. He has now blessed me with a wonderful wife, a Ministry, and some wonderful Christian friends. I truly believe that had I not gone through the things that I did, then I would not be in a position to help others who have been through a similar thing.

    God bless you, and may the Lord be with.

    ReplyDelete