Thursday 30 September 2010

The call

Much pious stuff is talked about the process among Evangelicals whereby they "call" a new pastor. In this process potential new pastors are identified, approved and appointed to posts. One piece of imagery is that of a "courtship" leading to a "marriage".

But the Bible says that "the labourer is worthy of his wages" (1 Timothy 5:18). I suppose a jaded spouse in a marriage might moan in a low moment that marriage is hard labour, and that the other party isn't giving them enough spending money, but all told it sounds a funny motto for a marriage to me. Of course it isn't a marriage. If it was one, I would have got through five of them by now, since I have had five pastorates. Future brides, look out!

No, a church takes on and supports a man to concentrate on the work, if possible full time. He will exercise his God-given calling and gifts to further the church's spiritual life. Notice that he will not have a monopoly on the gifts. Otherwise the church would not be a body, with every member being part of the body and contributing to its life. Actually, I have made a discovery that has radically reshaped my thinking on this issue. I look in vain in the New Testament for an instance of one pastor per church. Instead I see a plurality of elders in the churches, working under God as a team. It never ceases to amaze me that the Lord Jesus, who was supremely able to do everything Himself, chose teams to work alongside Him!

In practice effective, godly eldership teams of one mind and heart are not always easy to achieve. God grant that in my next church it will be a glorious possibility.

I count it a sign of the calling God has given me that I haven't reached a point where I want to call it a day. Morale and adrenalin rise whenever I hear of a possible new pastorate on the horizon. Such was the case a few days ago when I was offered an introduction to two churches seeking a minister. The trail is warm again, and my appetite for the work is as strong as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment