Wednesday 16 January 2013

Action Replay


There seems to be quite a tie-up between the daily Bible reading notes I use, Our Daily Bread, and the city of Liverpool. Last year some of us went to listen to Bill Crowder, an ODB staff member, who was leading a day conference in a church over Liverpool way. It turns out that Bill is a fan of Liverpool Football Club!

This came through in one of his meditations, though Bill is by no means one of those preachers who keep referring to football in an effort to show they are “one of the lads”. He is a serious Bible student and teacher and he puts his love of the sport at the service of communicating the Saviour.

He starts with the Bible – always the right place to start. “These things I have written to you,” says John in his first letter, “who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13). His point is that the Christian who has placed his or her trust in the Lord Jesus Christ has, you might say, won the game already, because eternal life in heaven is open to all believers.

“I love watching soccer,” he writes, using the American term for the game, “and I am a fan of the Liverpool Football Club in England’s Premier League. When the Reds are playing, it is an anxiety-filled experience for me. Because one goal or one misplay can change the game’s outcome, I feel a constant tension as I watch. That is part of what makes the games enjoyable. Recently, though, I saw a tape-delayed replay of one of Liverpool’s games. I was surprised how much calmer I felt seeing the replay. Why? Because I already knew the outcome, and as a result I was able to relax and enjoy the action.

“Life is often like observing live sporting events. There are shocks and surprises, frustrations and fears, because we are unsure of the outcome.”

I say a hearty "Amen" to Bill's words. How many decisions would be easier, how much mental anguish we would be spared, if only we knew how situations we face were going to turn out in the end! God alone knows the outcome; past, present and future are all present to Him. However, He thinks it wisest that we should not see everything that will happen. As a well-known hymn puts it,

What if tomorrow’s cares were here
without its rest?
I’d rather He unlocked the day,
and, as the hours swing open, say,
‘My will is best, My will is best.’

- Joseph Parker, 1830-1902

“Followers of Christ can draw comfort, however,” continues Crowder, “from the fact that though many of life’s situations are uncertain, our eternal outcome is settled by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross … Life may present us with surprises along the way, but because of Christ’s work we can have peace. He has already settled our eternal outcome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment