Friday 24 August 2012

Getting into the community



Oddly, despite episodes in hospital and other distractions, I have become more involved in my local community here in the Leigh area than anywhere else I have lived.

It has long been my aim to contribute to my local community. There is great value in meeting people outside of church circles and interacting with them.

This is distinct from the duty Christians feel to introduce outsiders to Christ. True, we would not wish to deny to others the great benefits the Lord Jesus Christ has given to us. If only those others knew it, it is a matter of eternal life and death for them. I frequently accuse myself of not guiding more people into conversation about their spiritual state. My excuse is that it is counter-productive to foist such discussions on people uninvited. When the Bible says, “Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season” (2 Timothy 4:2), that means be ready whether it is convenient to you or not – not the other person! We are not to harass people. But that can be an easy get-out, and there are all too many times when I could have shared the gospel without offence or inconvenience and didn’t.

But whether I get to talk to non-churchgoers about their souls or not, it seems good for a pastor to be an active citizen in his community. This was near impossible when I was minister of multiple churches scattered around different communities. I shared myself around seven churches in Cornwall, where I began my ministry, and as many as eleven in Banbury, with a hospital chaplaincy on top. But towards the end of my time in Aylesbury (only six churches there!) I became impressed with the work of the local CRUSE branch which offered counselling support to those locally who were bereaved. When I moved into independency in 1998, with only church to look after, I contacted a bereavement support organisation local to the Kidderminster area and became a volunteer worker with them. In Worcester I trained to do budget coaching for those who had financial problems.

In my current neck of the woods, things have taken a different turn again. I have joined up with my local Lowton East Neighbourhood Development Forum (www.lendf.co.uk) which meets monthly to discuss matters of concern to local residents. It has been an education and a joy. Ive met lots more people through it, received their support in time of illness and hopefully given a little back. This must never be allowed to encroach on my duties at church, but it adds depth to my connection with the place where I live.

Some churches have little or no interaction with their local community. Others have been so bound up with it for many generations past that they have almost lost their distinctive Christian character. Our task is to be in the world, but in such a way that the world wants to ask, “What makes you so special?”


No comments:

Post a Comment