Wednesday 15 February 2012

Storage bins

The aftermath of my move nine months ago is still with me in the form of about 50 storage bins of differing sizes and colours. They await me, all stacked up, in a spare
room at the church. Between them they hold upwards of 4000 litres. If ever I had to store water I would have room for over a year's supply.

That amazes me, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to God's storage space.

Some of the biggest surviving buildings of the Middle Ages were tithe barns, massive empty structures designed to hold a tenth of everyone's produce as an obligatory contribution to the church. The system was resented. Yet all the produce we can store does not match what God has available for you and me.

Even back in the days of the last Old Testament prophet, Malachi, God's people were suffering from tithing troubles. Those were dark days, and the Jews were obsessed with looking after "number one". As a result they resented God's demands and begrudged God any gift or service which might leave them short. God does not dwell on their problems, but instead highlights His own generosity. "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need" (Malachi 3:10 ESV).

Isaac Watts penned a beautiful hymn about the crucifixion of Jesus, "When I survey the wondrous cross", which ends with these lines:

"Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all."

No comments:

Post a Comment