Thursday 28 October 2010

Choices

We love to be able to choose between different options. In such situations you can pick one or more from a number of alternatives. It offers a wonderful feeling of being in control.

There comes a time when the power to choose is snatched from us. I think of frail elderly people who once had the power of making decisions for not only themselves but maybe hundreds or even thousands of other folk besides. Now they are dependent. If your carer has compelling reasons why you would be better off being moved from the chair to the bed, you have little choice but to go along with it.

Most of Jesus' first followers lost the power to choose what would happen to them in the end. In John 21:18-19 Jesus gives Peter the disquieting message, "I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

Then we read, "Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, 'Follow me!'"

For years I have had to accept particular work situations because there was no other option. This time I prayed that the Lord would give me a choice because it would be good, for once, to say to Him, "Lord, there are several options this time. Give me the discernment to choose the right one". Maybe - whisper it softly - this prayer has been answered in the affirmative. This would be welcome but it can also be quite scary! Lord, give me choice, but far be it from me to demand to be in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment